Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series at Phoenix Chevrolet Facts
January 31, 2017 - Avondale, Arizona, USA: Kyle Larson take his Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet through the turns during a practice at the Phoenix Test at Phoenix International Raceway in Avondale, AZ. (Source: Shutterstock) One of the most exciting sporting events to hit Phoenix is undoubtedly the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. This year the event takes place on Sunday, March 19th at 1:30 MST. But before the race starts, we thought we'd share some of Chevrolet's most impressive stats regarding the Phoenix International Raceway and its one-mile track.
10 Phoenix Chevrolet NASCAR Monster Energy Race Facts
- Jimmie Johnson, seven-time Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series champion, holds the qualifying track record at PIR with a lap time of 25.147 seconds at 143.158 MPH in his No. 48 Lowe's Chevrolet SS.
- Chevrolet has 22 victories at PIR - more than any other automaker.
- Six of the last seven races at PIR were won by a Chevrolet driver.
- Team Chevy drivers have finished at PIR 106 times in the top-five and 200 in the top-ten.
- 45.1% (5,888) of a possible 13,063 laps at PIR were led by a Chevrolet.
- Ryan Newman, driver of the No. 31 Caterpillar Chevrolet SS, has the PIR record for most pole awards with four fastest laps.
- Michael McDowell, Chevrolet SS driver with Leavine Family Racing, hails from Phoenix.
- Jimmie Johnson, driver of the No. 48 Lowe's Chevrolet SS, has won four times at PIR.
- Dale Earnhardt, Jr., driver of the No. 88 Axalta Chevrolet SS, has taken home four trophies from PIR.
- A Chevrolet driver has sat on the pole at PIR 19 times.
Team Chevy Q&A Session for FansSaturday, March 18th:
- 9:00 a.m. – Brandon Jones and Brendan Gaughan
- 9:15 a.m. – Ray Black, Jr.
- 11:30 a.m. – Daniel Hemric
- 9:00 a.m. – Austin Dillon
- 9:15 a.m. – Jamie McMurray
- 9:30 a.m. – Michael McDowell
Read more on PaddockTalk: 2017 Phoenix: Chevrolet NASCAR Monster Energy Race Preview