Valley Chevy U.S. Consumer Privacy Statement
Last modified: December 19, 2013
Your privacy is important to Valley Chevy (“VC” or “we”) as is your trust in VC’s products and services. We want you to know that the information you share with us will be treated with care. This Privacy Statement addresses what personal information we collect and how we handle the personal information shared with us.
This Privacy Statement applies to personal information we obtain from and about individuals interacting with VC and its websites, products and services. It does not apply to personal information we obtain in our capacity as an employer.
This Privacy Statement covers all VC businesses and subsidiaries in the U.S. except for OnStar LLC and General Motors Financial Company, Inc. which have their own Privacy Statements.
As you interact with VC, there may be opportunities for you to provide us with your information. Additionally, we may collect certain information about you or your vehicle as further described below.
You may provide us with information about you or your vehicle through a number of sources: VC websites, product and related events, test drive or other incentive applications, surveys, social media platforms (i.e., when you register for a VC sponsored sweepstakes via the VC Facebook Fan page), sweepstakes entries and through our customer call centers.
We receive information about you through vehicle sales records provided by your dealer and we may obtain, with your consent, data obtained from your vehicle’s Event Data Recorder (“EDR”) as described in your owner’s manual (i.e., how various systems in your vehicle operate, the speed and distance of your vehicle). For additional information about EDR data, please see your owner’s manual. We also may obtain information about you and your vehicle from VC affiliates, VC dealers, VC licensees for consumer merchandise, VC credit card bank partners and other sources such as companies that provide lists of potential vehicle purchasers and current owners, if such companies are permitted to share your information with us pursuant to their privacy statements.
The types of information that VC collects about you may include, but are not limited to:
- contact information (such as name, address, city, state and ZIP code, email address and telephone number)
- vehicle information (such as vehicle identification number (VIN), make, model, model year, selling dealer, servicing dealer, date of purchase or lease and service history)
- vehicle performance data (such as engine and transmission performance, airbag deployment conditions or crash or near crash information about how a vehicle’s systems performed)
- demographic information (such as age range, marital status and household composition)
- non-credit-related marketing profile information (such as when you plan to purchase or lease; the vehicle in which you’re interested)
- relationships you have with VC in addition to the purchase and servicing of your vehicle (such as through a GM Card or OnStar)
- incentive eligibility verification information (such as college name, branch of service or credit union name for vehicle purchase programs)
- Social Security Number (in limited circumstances VC may collect SSN, for example if you win a sweepstakes or receive compensation that must be reported for government tax purposes)
- investor information (name, address, phone number and email address)
- stockholder services information (such as account information)
- photographs such as those that you may submit for contests or sweepstakes
The information VC collects about you and your vehicle will be used:
- to provide products and services
- to maintain customer relationships
- to operate VC websites
- to provide customer and vehicle support and service (such as recall information or warranty service)
- to provide information and product updates
- to evaluate vehicle performance and safety as described in the vehicle owner manual
- for safety and product research purposes
- to verify eligibility for vehicle purchase or incentive programs
- for marketing purposes
- to customize and improve communication content
- to comply with legal requirements
You may choose to forward information from one of our websites or emails to another person through our Forward to a Friend program. Email addresses submitted to our E-card or other Forward to a Friend programs will not be captured for later use in marketing unless the recipient opts into receiving additional marketing materials from VC.
VC may share the information it collects about you or your vehicle in the following instances:
- as required by law, such as in conjunction with a subpoena, government inquiry, litigation, dispute resolution or similar legal process
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a law enforcement request
- with our services providers who work on our behalf and who do not have an independent right to use the information to which they have access or that we disclose to them
- with our business partners for VC marketing activities, business partner marketing activities or both
- with third parties for research and development purposes (such as university research institutes for improving highway safety)
- in connection with the sale, transfer or financing of a significant part of a VC business or its assets, including any such activities associated with a bankruptcy proceeding
- within VC, with our subsidiaries and affiliates, with VC dealers and with VC licensees; however, transaction information regarding your VC Card will not be shared with VC dealers.
Apart from the purposes listed above, VC will not share information about you or your vehicle with other third parties for their independent use without your permission.
How to Manage Your Personal Information/Communications Preferences
If you do not want to receive unsolicited marketing communications from VC, please visit our Consumer Preference System website at www.gmcontactpreferences.com. This will allow you to opt out of telephone and email communications and/or to change previously submitted opt-out preferences. You can also call 1-866-MYPRIVACY (1-866-697-7482) to opt out of direct mail communications, as well as telephone and email communications, and/or to change previously submitted opt-out preferences.
If you have subscribed to a particular email newsletter or other communication (such as My VC Service Reminders), you should follow the instructions in the email or on a related website to unsubscribe.
VC and VC dealers are separate legal entities with their own privacy practices. For questions about your dealer’s privacy practices including opting out of marketing communications from your dealer, please contact your dealer directly.
If you opt out of receiving marketing communications from VC, your personal information will not be used for marketing, but may still be used for the other purposes described in this Privacy Statement (such as vehicle support and service).
VC uses administrative, technical and physical security to protect the personal information we maintain and to help ensure that it is used according to this Privacy Statement.
VC websites use “cookies” to remember user preferences and to maximize the performance of our website and services. Using cookies on our websites provides benefits to you, such as allowing you to maintain your account login information or contact information on Request a Quote forms between visits, or locating a nearby dealer.
Similarly, we may also place Web beacons in our emails to measure the effectiveness of our email campaigns by identifying the individuals who open or act upon an email message, when an email message is opened, how many times an email message is forwarded, the type of software, device, operating system and browser used to deliver the email and any URL accessed through our email message.
To measure site activity and provide a better user experience, we may allow our service providers or business partners to compile information from the cookies, Web beacons or other technologies on our websites which may include information about your visit (such as demographic data, browser type, IP address, pages visited, activities conducted on the page and the day and time of your visit). We may also allow third party advertising and personalization partners to use this information to develop personalized content and appropriate advertising based on your visits over time on VC web sites and non-VC web sites.
This information may also be used to evaluate our online advertising campaigns or to tailor promotions and other marketing messages to you.
At this time, we do not currently honor do no track signals from a web site browser. However, you may refuse or delete cookies. Please refer to your browser Help instructions to learn more about cookies and other technologies and how to manage their use. If you elect to refuse or delete cookies, you will need to repeat this process if you use another computer, or change browsers. If you choose to decline cookies, some of the functionality of a website may be impaired.
VC adheres to the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising (www.AboutAds.info). If you do not wish to receive personalized advertising or content from us while visiting VC web sites, you may click on the AdChoices icon located at the bottom of the web site page or the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Opt-Out page (www.AboutAds.info/choices).
If you do not wish to receive personalized advertising or content from us on non-VC websites, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Opt-Out page (www.AboutAds.info/choices) or click on the AboutAds icon on a VC advertisement and follow the instructions on how to opt out.
Opting out of relevant advertising will not opt you out of all advertising, but rather only those advertisements that are personalized to your interests by VC or its agents or representatives.
If you choose to decline cookies, some of the functionality of a website may be impaired.
VC websites may contain links to third-party sites not controlled by VC or covered by this Privacy Statement, such as those belonging to VC dealers, VC licensees, co-branded websites offered in conjunction with a business partner, or independent product review sites. We recommend that you check the Privacy Statement of other sites you visit before providing any personal information.
When you buy or lease a GM vehicle from a VC dealer, the dealer will share your information with GM as the vehicle manufacturer. Please be aware that each dealer operates as a separate legal entity and you should read the dealer’s privacy statement to ensure that you understand its privacy practices and procedures. Additionally, because the VC dealer often is the first contact with you, the dealer can answer any questions you may have about its privacy practices. While VC encourages its dealers to ensure full compliance with all applicable privacy legislation and has provided information to our dealers relating to privacy obligations, VC is not responsible for dealers’ compliance with applicable law.
When completing a purchase or lease agreement or signing a service repair order with the VC dealer, you should be provided with information describing the dealership’s privacy practices and related policies that explain that certain personal information that you provide to the dealer may be shared with VC or others in accordance with this Statement.
VC websites do not target or knowingly collect any information from children under the age of 13.
Privacy Inquiries and Correcting Your Information
If you have concerns or questions regarding VC’S consumer privacy practices or this Privacy Statement, please refer to the frequently asked questions that follow, or you may contact us at 1-866-MYPRIVACY (1-866-697-7482).
To have your mail, email or telephone information updated please call one of the following Customer Assistance Centers that is specific to your vehicle:
Changes to Privacy Statement
We may update this Privacy Statement from time to time. We will do so by posting additions or modifications to this page.
Effective date: September 1, 2011
Last modified: December 19, 2013
Frequently Asked Questions
Q2: Does my vehicle have a black box to record data?
A: GM vehicles, like other modern motor vehicles, have a number of sophisticated computer systems that monitor and control several aspects of the vehicle’s performance. GM vehicles use on-board vehicle computers to monitor emission control components to optimize fuel economy, to monitor conditions for air bag deployment and, if so equipped, to provide anti-lock braking and to help the driver control the vehicle in difficult driving situations. Some information may be stored during regular operations to facilitate repair of detected malfunctions; other information is stored only in a crash event by computer systems, such as those commonly called event data recorders (EDR). To learn more about vehicle recording and privacy, refer to the Vehicle Data Recording and Privacy section of your vehicle’s owner manual.
Q3: Does my vehicle have an RFID feature that transmits my personal information?
A: No, many GM vehicles contain sensing and transmitting devices using the same type of radio frequency transmission technology used in RFIDs that can contain personal information. These devices are used to perform functions such as checking tire pressure. The devices do not store or transmit personal information. To learn more about vehicle recording and privacy, refer to the Vehicle Data Recording and Privacy section of your vehicle’s owner manual.